1. childhood 2. believe 3. belong 4. appear
5. apply 6. appointment 7.adult 8. collect
9. burn 10. citizen 11. career 12. asleep
13. celebrate 14. chemical 15.assistant 16. career
17. classic 18. Asia 19.airport 20.central
21. area 22. comfortable 23. ability 24.boring
25. carry 26.blog 27.attract 28.besides
29. attend 30.beyond 31.blind 32.blood
33. blow 34.availble 35.business 36.branch
37. brave 38.building 39.cash 40.breathe
Mr. Brown was going away for a week. Before he left, he said to his son, “If anyone asks for me, you can tell him that your father has been out for doing something, and will be back in a week, then be sure to ask him to sit down for a cup of tea.”
“OK, Dad,” said his son. But Mr. Brown was afraid his son couldn’t remember this, so he wrote these words down on a piece of paper and gave it to his son. The boy put it into his small pocket, took it out and read it every now and then.
Four days passed, but no one came to see his father. The boy thought that there would be no person to come and that the piece of paper was of no more use for him, so he burnt it that evening.
The next afternoon, someone knocked at the door. The boy opened it. A man was standing at the door and said, “Where is your father?” The boy put his hand into his pocket at once and looked for the piece of paper. He could not find it. He suddenly remembered he had burnt it, so he cried, “No more.”
The man was very surprised. He asked, “No more? But I met your father last week. “When did it happen?”
“Burnt yesterday evening.”
1. Mr. Brown told his son that _____.
A. he would be away from home for four days
B. he would be back in seven days
C. he would be back in a month
D. he liked a cup of tea
2. Mr. Brown wrote the words down on _____.
A. the wall B. the door C. a piece of paper D. his son’s pocket
3. A man came to visit the boy’s father on ____.
A. the second day B. the third day C. the fourth day D. the fifth day
4. The man was very surprised because _____.
A. he thought the child’s father was dead
B. the child didn’t ask him to sit down
C. the child gave him a cup of tea
D. he couldn’t find that piece of paper
5. What was burnt?
A. The piece of paper. B. Mr. Brown. C. The visitor. D. The boy.
1. childhood 童年 2. believe 相信 3. belong 属于 4. appear 出现
5. apply 申请、应用 6. appointment 约会，约定 7.adult 成年人 8. collect 收集
9. condition 条件 10. citizen 市民、公民 11. career 职业 12. asleep 睡着了
13. celebrate 庆祝 14. chemical 化学的 15.assistant 助手、帮助 16. automatic 自动的
17. classic 经典的 18. Asia 亚洲 19.airport 机场 20.central 中心的
21. area 面积 区域 22. comfortable 舒服的 23. ability 能力 24.boring 令人厌烦的
25. carry 携带、装载 26.blog 博客 27.attract 吸引 28.besides 除…之外
29. attend 参加 30.beyond 超越 31.blind 盲的 32.blood 血液
33. blow 吹、打击 34.availble 可用的35.business 贸易 36.branch 树枝、分支
37. brave 勇敢的 38.building 建筑物 39.cash 现金 40.breathe 呼吸
B C D A A